Sunday, January 24, 2010

1/25/2010

I have had only a few people close to me die in my life time. Most times they were older; my great grandmothers, grandfather-they all were sick which sucked but it prepared me. Although you can never really prepare for a death it doesn't catch you off guard as much.

This is the day that I have been dreading since my birthday....A year ago today I got a call from a friend. I was in my dorm room, chatting with my Line Sister and little sister preparing to go to bed because we had our Founder's Day Program later that day. That phone call was the worst call of my life...I was told that my friend Dennis had been shot. I didn't believe them. I remember thinking that there was miscommunication, it wasn't Dennis. I had to be sure. My line sister and I ran to the car and drove to his house...It was like a scene out of a movie but there were no actors. * speechless* The pain that overwhelmed my spirit was an uncontrolled pain of loosing a loved unexpectedly. It was almost out of body...surreal. Usually when something goes wrong my immediate thought is damage control...how can i fix this? Sirens, blue and red flashing lights, yellow caution tape, crowds of people crying...confusion. I was nauseous...numb. My line sisters were there, hugging me and holding me but somehow I still felt very much alone. Praying this was a bad dream or they wrongly identified the body....my God I hoped it wasn't him. I reached for my cell phone and dialed his number....I just knew he was going to pick up and say yeah man this is crazy its not me....I'm on my way to clear to this up; I got his voice mail. I hung up and called again....I got his voice mail. It was all becoming a reality too fast. Days went by and all I had was fond memories of him. Singing Delta and Que chants....our time in the park. He was the first bruh that I greeted! Dennis was so much more than what most people got at face value. Yes he was funny, sarcastic, and loved to have a good time but he was generous, loving, and genuinely good friend. I could him at anytime and he'd be there. Beautiful and inspiring spirit. He killed any misconception that I may have had about men of Omega Psi Phi.


My life wouldn't have been the same I have not met you; my life hasn't been the same since I lost you.



This Blog was the only place I had at this time for comfort. Not my typically blog...but like always it came from heart.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I only recently started reading your blog. I'm really sorry for your loss. I hope that you're well and that you have people around you who will sow good seed, and be supportive to you at this time.

    Keep blogging! I too hate writing papers, but LOVE to blog. lol

    ReplyDelete